National and International Awards
Menchem Begin Award for best PhD thesis in Social Justice, from the Menachem Begin Heritage Center, 2001.
Yoav Award for best academic publication in media criticism, from Israel's Media Watch Association, 2003.
Top paper Award for the article "National identity, Globalization/Americanization, and Representation of the land in Israeli advertising", International Communication Association's Popular Communication Division. Dresden, Germany, June 2006. (with A. First)
The Ben Halpern Biennial Award for best doctoral dissertation in the study of the Yishuv, Zionism and the State of Israel, from the Association for Israel Studies, 2000.
1. Avraham, E. (2000). The media in Israel, center and periphery: Coverage of the development towns. Jerusalem: Academon Press. (Hebrew).
2. Avraham, E. (2001). The Hidden Israel: Kibbutzim, Jewish settlements, development cities and Arab towns in the Israeli press. Jerusalem: Academon Press. (Hebrew)
2a. Avraham, E. (2003). Behind media marginality: Coverage of social groups and places in the Israeli press. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
3. Avraham, E., and Keter, E. (2008). Media strategies for marketing places in crisis: Improving the image of cities, countries and tourist destinations. Oxford, England: Butterworth Heinemann.
4. First, A. and Avraham E. (2009). America in JeruSALEm: Globalization, national identity, and Israeli advertising. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
1. Aburaiya, I., Avraham, E. and Wolfsfeld, G. (1998). The Arabs in Israel in the eyes of the Hebrew press: Media and delegitimization. Givat Haviva, Israel: The Institute for Israeli Arab Studies and the Institute for Peace Research. (Hebrew)
2. Avraham, E. (2003).Campaigns for promoting and marketing cities in Israel. Jerusalem: The Floersheimer Institute for Policy Studies. (Hebrew)
3. First, A. and Avraham, E. (2004). Media representation of the Arab population in the Hebrew media: Comparison between the coverage of the First Land Day (1976) and the Al-Akza Intifada (2000). Tel Aviv: Tel Aviv University, Tami Steinmetz Center for Peace Research. (Hebrew)
4. Avraham, E., First A. and N. Elephant-Lefler (2004). The absent and the present in prime-time: Multi-cultural diversity in TV commercial broadcasting in Israel. Jerusalem: The Second Authority for Television and Local Radio. (Hebrew).
5. Avraham, E., First A. and N. Elephant-Lefler (2004). The absent and the present in prime-time: Multi-cultural diversity in TV commercial broadcasting in Israel. Jerusalem: The Second Authority for Television and Local Radio. 123 pages. (Hebrew)
Articles in Refereed Journals
1. Avraham, E. (1997) Back to the shtetl: Public access TV in Israel and around the world. Devarim Ahadim 1: 98-99. (Hebrew)
2. Avraham, E. (2000). Cities and their news media image. Cities 17 (5): 363-270.
3. Avraham, E., Wolfsfeld, G. and I., Aburaiya (2000). Dynamics in the news coverage of minorities: The case of the Arab citizens of Israel. Journal of Communication Inquiry 24 (2): 117-133.
4. Wolfsfeld, G., Avraham, E. and I., Aburaiya (2000). When prophecy always fails: Israeli press coverage of the Arab minority's Land Day protest. Political Communication 17 (2): 115-131.
5. Avraham, E. (2002). Social-political environment, journalism practice and coverage of minorities: The case of the marginal cities in Israel. Media, Culture and Society 24 (1): 69-86.
5a. Avraham, E. (2004). Social-political environment, journalism practice and coverage of minorities: The case of the marginal cities in Israel. Journalism & Communication 11 (4): 67-72. (In Chinese)
6. Avraham, E. and A. First (2003). "I buy American": The American Image as reflected in Israeli advertising. Journal of Communication 53 (2): 282-299
6a. First, A. and E. Avraham (2003). Jerusalem longing for New York: The manifestation of the American imagery in Israeli advertising. Megamot 42 (4): 652-670. (Hebrew)
7. First A. and Avraham, E. (2003).Changes in the political, cultural and media environment and their impact on the coverage of conflict: The case of the Arab population in Israel. Communication and Conflict Online 2 (1): 1-14.
8. Avraham, E. (2003). Press, politics and the coverage of minorities in divided societies: The case of Arab citizens in Israel. Harvard International Journal of Press/Politics 8 (4): 7-26.
9. Avraham, E. and A. First (2004). The Good, the bad and the absent: Contradictory trends in the treatment of Arabs on Israeli TV. Mediterranean Journal of Human Rights 8 (2): 55-78.
10. Avraham, E. (2004). Media strategies for improving an unfavorable city image. Cities 21 (6): 471-479.
11. Avraham, E. and A. Gonen (2004). Marketing and advertising strategies for places in Israel: Association, disassociation and competition. Horizons in Geography 62: 83-94. (Hebrew)
12. Avraham, E and, A. First. (2006). Space, power and media: Ways of constructing the periphery as "other". Social and Cultural Geography 7 (1): 71-86.
13. Livio O. and Avraham, E. (2006). Social-ideological distance between the journalists and social groups covered: Who is the "salt of the earth" according to Ha'aretz? Israel. 10: 177-197. Special issue dedicated to the Ha'aretz newspaper. (Hebrew)
14. First, A and Avraham, E. (2007). Globalization/Americanization and constructing national dreams: Representations of culture and economy in Israeli advertising. Israel studies Forum. 22(1): 54-74.
15. First, A and Avraham, E. (2007). National identity, Globalization/ Americanization, and Representation of the land in Israeli advertising. Popular Communication. 5 (4): 223-239.
16. Lahav T. and Avraham, E. (2008) Public Relations for Peripheral Places and National Media Coverage Patterns: The Israeli Case. Public Relations Review. 34: 230-236. (IF: 0.761, 5 years IF: 0.807, journal rank: 34/67; total cites: 5 in Google scholar)
17. Avraham, E. and Ketter, E. (2008) Will We Be Safe There? Analyzing strategies for altering places' unsafe images. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy. 4(3): 196-204.
18. Avraham, E. (2009). Marketing and managing nation branding during prolonged crisis: The case of Israel. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy. 5(3): 202-212.
18a. Avraham, E. (2009). Marketing and managing nation branding during prolonged crisis: The case of Israel. In: A. Fyall, M. Kozak, L. Andreu, J. Gnoth and S. S. Lebe (Eds.) Marketing Innovations for Sustainable Destinations. Pp. 230-242. Oxford: Goodfellow Publishing.
19. Avraham, E. and Daugherty, D. (2009). "We're known for oil. But we also have watercolors, acrylics & pastels": Media strategies for marketing small cities and towns in Texas. Cities. 26(6): 331-338.
20. Avraham, E. and First, A. (2010). Combining the representation approach with the framing concept: Television news coverage of the Arab population in Israel during conflict. Journalism. 11(4): 1-19.
21. First, A. and Avraham, E. (2010). Contesting national identity during crisis: The use of patriotism in Israeli advertisements. Communication, Culture and Critique. 3 (3): 334-351.
22. Ketter E. and Avraham, E. (2010) How African countries promote themselves by using the Internet. International journal of tourism policy. 3 (4): 318-331.
22a. Ketter E. and Avraham, E. "Improving the Negative Image of African Nations: Media Strategies for Marketing Places on the Internet". Horizons in Geography (25 pages). (Hebrew)
23. Avraham, E. and First, A. (2010). Can a regulator change representation of minority groups and fair reflection of cultural diversity in national media programs? Lessons from the Israeli case study. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media. 54 (1): 136-148.
24. Avraham, E. and D. Daugherty. (2012). "Step into the Real Texas": Associating and claiming state narrative in advertising and tourism brochures. Tourism Management. 33: 1385-1397.
25. Lahav, T. Mensfeld, Y. and Avraham, E. (Forthcoming) Public relations for rural areas. Journal of Tourism and Travel Marketing.
26. Avraham, E. and Ketter, E. (Forthcoming) Marketing Destinations with Prolonged Negative Images: Towards a new model. Tourism Geographies.
27. Avraham, E. and First. (Forthcoming) Towards a New Model of Narrative Transformation in Advertising: From the American Myth to the Green Myth. Communication Theory.
Articles or Chapters in Books
1. First A. and Avraham, E. (2003). "My heart is in the East and I am in the West": The American image as reflected in Israeli advertising. In Liebes T. and M. Talmon (Eds.) Communication as culture: Television as a cultural environment. Pp. 339-367. Tel Aviv: The Open University. (Hebrew)
2. Avraham, E. (2006). Public Relations and Advertising Strategies for Managing Tourist Destination Image Crises. In: Y. Mansfeld and A. Pizam (Eds.) Tourism and Security: A case Approach. Pp. 233-249. London: Butterworth Heinemann.
3. Avraham, E. and Ketter E. (2006). Media strategies for improving national images during tourism crisis. In M. Kozak and L. Andreu (Eds.) Progress in Tourism Marketing". Pp. 115-125. Oxford: Elsevier.
4. Avraham, E. (2006). "Media Inequality": Characteristics and reasons for the differences in social groups' access to the press. In Ram U. and Berkovitch, N. (Eds.). In/Equality. Be'er Sheva: Ben Gurion University Press. (Hebrew)
5. First, A., and Avraham, E (2007). Multi-cultural diversity in TV commercial broadcasting in Israel and ways to improve it. In Caspi D. (Eds). Politiccal Communication in Israel. Jerusalem: The Van Leer Jerusalem / Hakibbutz Hameuchad Publishing House. Pp. 134-161. (Hebrew)
6. Avraham, E. (2009). Social-ideological distance between the journalists and social groups covered: The representation of the marginal cities in the national press. In Zameret Z., Halamish, A., Meir-Glizenstien, O. (Eds). The Development Towns. Jerusalem: Yad Ben-Zvi Institute. Pp. 379-390. (Hebrew)
6a. Avraham, E. (2003). Pimple on the Southern back. Panim: Quarterly for Society, Culture and Education. 26: 64-72. (Hebrew)
7. Avraham, E. (Forthcoming). Changes in the News Representation of Minorities as Seen Over the Course of 40 Years of Research. Blackwell Content and Representation Volume. S. Mazzarela (ed). Blackwell books.
8. Avraham E. (Forthcoming) Crisis Communication and Sustainable Place Marketing. International Place Branding Yearbooks 2012. Frank Go and Robert Govers (Eds.). Palgrave Macmillan.
9. Mangisitu, G. and Avraham, E. (Forthcoming). "Other among their own people": The social construction of the Ethiopian immigrants in the Israeli national press. In Caspi, D. and N. Ellias (Eds.). Ethnic minorities and media in the Holy Land. Vallentine Mitchell Academic.